Monday, September 29, 2014

Years in the Making..... The Flowerbed Chronicle

I mentioned previously I'd share my crazy with a flower bed I've been working on for years.   When we bought the land where we now live I always knew I wanted a "botanical garden" feel around the yard and lake.  Slowly, over time (lots of time) it's coming together.  I've had a vision for the front of the property.... granted, it's changed somewhat and continues to evolve over time, but a vision none-the-less. 

This entire area was overgrown and full of junk trees and vines.... ugh!  My hubby took the bobcat and ripped most of it out.... I spent two days running a burn pile to get rid of it.  We had a few large rocks left over from another project so I had him place them around out here and that was the extent of this years work..... (I told you "years in the making").

The following year we added berms..... One large closest to the driveway and two smaller opposite of it.  This area measures roughly 90' x 50' and I plan to cover it in it's entirety with flower bed...... someday!  Here's the end result of another year's work:

 
Year three..... structure.  Well, in the berms anyhow.  I added some trees and shrubs.  I love natural, perennials mixed with structure and I tend to let them take over (within reason anyhow) so I always have babies that need removed.... they have a new home out here.  I got it mulched too..... lots of mulch! 



 
Year four..... My husband decided he couldn't take another year of hoses from the house out to the flower beds.... so.... I got a watering system this year.  The boys and my husband dug trenches all over the yard and hooked it up to a pump system taking water from the lake.... works great!  I also added a few bushes to connect the two smaller berms.

 
Now, it's amazing what a couple years can do.... it's overgrown.  I have a path through the center planned that'll lead from two "activity" circles..... I have started them both but completion will have to wait.  I've also added some rock to the bushes above to make mowing a little easier.  Another year gone. 




This is one of the "activity circles"..... It will be a willow structure once the willows decide to grow in and I can start weaving them together.... not sure how it's going to turn out but whatever happens I will "make it work". 


This is the second "activity circle"..... all I've got so far are the arborvitae that will be on either side of the entrances..... I plan to form the rest of the circle with lavender..... in the spring... I am planning a mosaic walkway to connect this area to the willow structure on the other end.... hopefully that can get started in the spring.


 
 
I have a wall I'd love to do out here with bottles that I've been collecting for a couple years (they've taken over the shed and a portion of the garage) and of course the walkway, who knows what direction it'll take in the years to come but it certainly is fun figuring it all out!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...