Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Hug from Grampy....

My grandpa died a couple years ago and lately I've been thinking about him a lot, probably because I just spent a long weekend visiting grandma while she had some new carpeting installed.  All the wonderful memories of grampy are flooding back. 

Here he is with his Harley-D (as he would call it).  Shortly after this he had to quit riding, he couldn't keep it upright anymore.  He got himself a little scooter and would ride that up and down the road in front of their house.  Didn't take long before that had to stop as well....
 
I had grandma save me out some of his clothes so I could make a quilt.  Here's what I came up with:
His clothing was sparse and pretty stained up.  I purchase some white and black fabric and used his shirts as the larger blocks.   I also bought a striped sheet to use for the back fabric (it reminded me of men's shirt fabric).
He was in love with Harley's so I used a T-shirt of his as an emblem on the back of the quilt.
I did some simple hand quilting around the outer edges of the white rectangles and the larger squares. 

 
A simple design but very striking and it's like getting a nice, warm hug from grampy!
 
Have you made a memory quilt or something in memory of a lost loved one?  I'd love to see some of what you've created! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...