I bet after last week you thought we'd be ready to pour, after all, the forms were nearly up. If only it were that easy. We spent most of this week adding supports and finishing all the prep-work necessary in order to pour.
Whalers? I believe that's what I heard them called had to go all the way around with adjustable kickers. 20'- 2x4's, two thick surround the entirety of the forms on the outside and are held in place with metal brackets and then the kickers go on. Nifty, adjustable kickers, all in an effort to keep the wall straight and where it needs to be (if you look closely you can see an orange string line that is our guide).
Hubby also dug footings for the front entry.
Adding rock and compacting as he went. By the time I showed up Saturday morning he'd gotten two of them compacted and was heading for the third. He gets a days work in before I even show up, not quite sure how he does it!
We also added block-outs where needed and pipes for pass-thru's (electrical, sewer, etc). Monday was pour day, everything went pretty smoothly (thanks guys for the help).
This was my job, placing the anchor bolts. Hopefully I didn't do too bad of a job, I'm sure the framer will be cursing me at some point.
Tuesday I spent over 6 hours removing the metal brackets holding the wood around the exterior, removing the wood and then all the wedges that hold the forming together. My hands are cramping and all the ups and downs has my body screaming at me today. What a workout! The guys (hubby and son) showed up and started helping me (I'd of never gotten it all done otherwise) and removing forms. Lookin' good!
Not sure what's next, probably the bathroom walls (that's our storm shelter and will be concrete), rough plumbing (plus whatever else goes beneath the floor) and then the floor.
That's going to be quite the pour!