Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Building The Chirping Frog- Part 4

Our newest adventure:  The Chirping Frog, an antique, collectibles, vintage, home decor, furniture, artisan wares and more shopping mall in a great location right off a major interstate is well underway.  I also plan to host classes in a variety of fun topics; such as mosaic, hypertufa, jewelry making, paper arts, etc.  I am so excited and a little terrified all at the same time.  Here's some links if you're interested in following our progress:

This week we've been working on placing forms for the foundation walls.  It's just over 2' tall, just a wee little wall.  First a board goes down and then the forms.  This corner is where we started.  I was no help through this, those forms are heavy!  I did get the job of carrying all the rebar into place and tying it off.



The front long wall and the sides use the 6' long forms which I can't handle without help.  The back long wall (and the bathrooms) use 3' forms which I can manage (with some whining of course)

Working a couple hours each night (except for Wednesday's), a full day on Saturday and a half day Sunday we managed to get most of the outer walls formed.  We were short a few (mainly for the bathroom) and had to rent on Monday.  Tonight we'll be ready to get the rest of the forms in and then it'll need some reinforcing (which Chad and Lee started Monday) and it'll be ready to pour.


These are the wedges, "dogs" that hold everything together.  Along with ties (at least that's what I call them) that look similar to the one hanging out here that are in the center (where the concrete will go) to hold it all in place.

This is a look inside the wall cavity that'll be filled with concrete.

 This is the handy little tool I used to tie all the rebar together.  What a life saver.  If I'd of had to tie it all by hand I'd still be working on it.

Here's a look at the ties it makes.  At one point I really wanted to throw it, nothing was tight and it screwed up every time.  All I could think is that I was doing something wrong.  Of course I couldn't figure out what that could possibly be.  Turned out the battery was low and all I had to do was change the battery, duh!

Hoping next week we'll have some concrete poured and be working on getting the floor ready. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...