Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Easy DIY Chair Planter

Do you have a chair just sitting around, if not, next time you see one at a garage sale, don't pass it up.  Snatch it!  So many cute uses for broken, dilapidated chairs.  I found this one at a garage sale for FREE, just because a little bit of the caning was broken.  Great chair! 

Here's what I decided to do with it:

First, take off the chair pad.  Usually these are screwed in from the bottom and easily removed with a screwdriver.


 Then, start adding your chicken wire.  I used leftovers from another project that were just shy of covering the area I needed so I used two pieces run in opposite directions, one left to right, the other front to back.  Each piece I stapled wherever it reached the chair.

 In this picture you can see the first piece hanging down, it didn't reach back up to the chair.  The second piece is stapled.  I don't like it hanging down so I used a little piece of wire like thread and stitched the two pieces together on the sides.

 A much cleaner look.  If you look closely you can see the piece of wire I used.  If you are cutting straight from a bolt of chicken wire you shouldn't need to use two pieces, it should be wide enough.

 All done with the base.  Once I get some landscaping fabric in there it'll be ready to plant.

 I chose this chair because of the caning as well.  I am planning to plant up the back of the chair as well, using the caning (until it rots out anyhow).  I started by using another piece of leftover chicken wire and stapling it along the bottom and right side.

 Finishing by attaching it along the left.  I did not close it up on top.  This is how I'll add my dirt and I'll plant at the top to let something trail down the back of the chair as well.

 Most of the planting will happen in the front though.  This is the hole that was already in the caning, I cleaned it up a little.

 Then I added a few more.  By the time I plant I'll probably add more but I won't know for sure until I get to it.

 Here's a couple shots of the finished planter.  I will probably spray it with poly in the hopes that it'll last a little longer, add some landscaping fabric or burlap and get 'er planted this spring.  Can't wait to see how it turns out!




Never had a chance to plant this guy, sold it instead.  Here's a few gorgeous examples from Pinterest:
blue-by-arizonasandy-on-flickr


Do you have an unusual planter in your yard?  If so, please share.  We'd love to see what you've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...