Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Hanging Day Today!

This is always an exciting day, the day that window treatments I've made are making their way into their new home.  Today I will be hanging two sets of panels.  One I shared with you in an earlier post, "My Next Sewing Project is Almost Done" and today I'll share the second pair.  Hopefully, by tonight I'll have pictures of them completed, hanging in their new locations. 

 
 These tab-top panels were given to my client and she wants to turn them into puddled panels that shir on a rod in the same fashion that the Living Room panels I made for her do, "Easy Floor To Ceiling Window Panels").  So, just how is that done?  It's pretty easy actually.  Here's a step-by-step look at what I did to "make it happen".

First things first, choose a coordinating fabric and buy enough fabric to get you to the added length you need plus seam allowances/hems.  My client wanted a red fabric for the accent fabric so I chose a fabric of similar texture and weight to the original panel.
 
Next, cut your new fabric to the necessary length and iron in your bottom hem, pinning as you go.  I did a double 2" hem in both the front fabric and the lining (cutting the lining roughly 1" shorter than the front fabric).


 Then, in order to attach your new fabric to the bottom of the old panel you'll need to separate the lining from the front fabric, just far enough up to allow you room to work.  (you can see I've already pinned my fabrics together, ignore the red, I got a little ahead of myself.  Just release the stitching roughly 2" above where you'll be stitching the two together).

Now, place your fabrics, right side together and stitch.  I used the old hem line as my guide.  When adding new fabrics to old and making two-tone panels I tend to use the 2/3 rule (don't know the technical name for it) I just know that the ratio is pleasing to the eye and it worked out perfectly to use the old hemline and add my new fabric right below it.  No extra marking or measuring.  After I sewed it on I simply cut off the old hem, ironed the seam between my newly sewn pieces and then ironed again from the front.  You're going to repeat the process for the lining.

You can barely see the old hem line along the fraying edge of the new red fabric
Here they are all sewn together.  Now it's time to fix the messy edges, and they usually are all kinds of wonky.

See what I mean, all kinds of Wonky!  It takes a little time and patience to blend these together, then iron them, giving you a nice, crisp edge (fold them in, doubling up the fabric to contain the cut edge).  Again, pinning as you go.  I did not capture the side seam stitching in pictures, all I do is hand stitch using a doubled thread from where I pulled out the original side seam to add the red fabric, all the way to the bottom hem, being careful not to go through to the front, only capture the lining.

Now, you should have completed panels, with the original tab-tops.  That's about to change.  I simply cut across that narrow stitched backing piece and removed the stitching along the tab side, as shown in the 2nd picture.
 
 I left the little other piece alone, it's gonna be covered anyhow.

I measured the diameter of the rod they'll be shirred on, added a couple inches to make it a little easier to shir and made a "pocket" of lining fabric.  You are looking at the back, top of the panel.  I will simply run a stitch along the top and bottom where my "pocket" is at and it's ready to go. 

 Here they are waiting for today, hanging day! 
 
Here's the second set that I'll also be hanging today.
 
  Stay tuned, more pictures coming soon.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...