Thursday, July 21, 2016

Building The Chirping Frog- Part 18

I am still pinching myself that this is really happening.  The building is coming together and before long we'll be closed up and ready to get the inside mechanics and finishes going.  I am so excited and cannot wait to open The Chirping Frog (a new Antique & More Mall in Worden, IL right off I-55 and route 4).  

Jason and I started framing the interior walls last weekend.  Tonight we'll be finishing that up and moving on to the next project (not sure exactly what that is yet, there's plenty of work to do).  

We started by framing in a "bulkhead" above the bathrooms.  There'll be access from the storage room at the right.  Just an added bit of storage.

This is the storage room.

I told Jason on multiple occasions that I wish he had better help.  I carry things around and hand tools but when it comes to raising these taller walls, I'm no help at all.  They're way too heavy.

Next, we worked on the entryway.  Everything gets formed up on the ground right where its going to be installed and then lifted up.  There will be a small vestibule, with a wood top that I'll be able to use for display of some kind.

It still needs a plywood top and the door, of course but I can see the finished product and I can't wait!

The guys are continuing work on the siding and getting all the trimwork and soffit completed. Here's the back of the building.  This afternoon when I left they had finished the majority of the front (except the area that needs cut around the front entry) and were wrapping the corner.  Tonight, when I head back up there to meet Jason there might just be a window or two installed.  How exciting!

They also got the front door installed the end of last week.

I have been working on getting the interior bathroom walls grouted.  Even though we vibrated them a lot when pouring, there's still plenty of pockets in the finished walls.  I really like them myself and will probably leave them alone on the exterior of the bathrooms but want them filled in for the interior.  Its taking forever but slowly I'm chipping away at getting them grouted.

It really doesn't make a huge difference but will add a layer of interest for the finished look and make them easier to clean.

Earlier this week Jason tried to lift this wall with just me, yeah, not gonna happen.  We ended up getting everything put together and the guys working on the outside helped him get them standing early one morning.  They are just way too much for him to handle alone and I'm not any help.

When I got there this morning to start grouting, the walls were up, looks so good.  This is the view from the back towards the front door.  There will be a couple cases against the facing wall and the majority of the cases will be in a couple rows behind the left wall.

Here's the view from the vestibule.  You will be able to see thru into a booth or two and then the area to the right will be where the majority of the cases are located.  You will be able to see into the booths beyond but not as good as this makes it appear.  The area between the walls (the left side of the picture) is the employee and check-out space.  

Things are really coming together and before you know it we'll be up and running, ready for business.  I cannot wait!  

Here's weekly updates from the beginning if you're interested:
  • Part 1- Clean-up
  • Part 2- Dirt Work
  • Part 3- Tons of Rock & Footings 
  • Part 4- Foundation Walls
  • Part 5- Foundation Walls Poured
  • Part 6- Forming Bathroom Walls
  • Part 7- Bathroom Walls Poured
  • Part 8- Rock, rock and more rock!
  • Part 9- Concrete Floor Pour
  • Part 10- Clean-up
  • Part 11- Framing is Underway
  • Part 12- Trusses
  • Part 13- Trusses Are Up
  • Part 14- Metal Started on Roof
  • Part 15- Roof and Concrete Wainscoting
  • Part 16- More Carved Concrete and Pine Log Entry gets installed  
  • Part 17- Concrete gets stained, doors installed and grouted, still working on getting us closed up.  
I've also got the contract being reviewed and am planning to get a meeting scheduled so we can take a look at it, have a Q/A session and get things signed and official.  Hopefully the first part of August.

If you've got any ideas for classes or would be interested in teaching a class please contact me.  I'd like to get a class schedule put together and start advertising.  I have some ideas for jewelry and journals of course but would like to offer a vast selection and possibly host "crop" nights or something comparable as well in a variety of topics.  If you've got any thoughts on what you'd like to see please share.

Can't wait to see what next week brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...