Friday, May 6, 2016

How to Update a Wall with Maps

This wall has needed painted for years. I threw around a couple ideas, asked my son his opinion since it's really the boys' loft area (for a couple more years anyhow) and ended up using an Atlas to cover the walls with maps, an inexpensive solution with great results.

I used wallpaper paste and separated out my Atlas pages so I had single pages, narrow doubles and wide doubles so I could place them how I wanted as I went, kind of like a jigsaw puzzle.  I didn't want them all willy-nilly, scattered all over the place and I didn't want them lined up in a row either, this way I was able to scatter them but still have a nice geometric pattern.





I am not entirely done, I am thinking of adding something small for a little pizzaz before I give it a couple coats of poly.  Unlike regular wallpaper I do have some creasing in the paper, since it's just light weight paper it soaks up the glue and immediately wrinkles up.  Most of that pulls out as it dries but if it was extreme and I didn't take the time to very carefully get the wrinkles out, well, suffice it to say it stayed wrinkled, doesn't bother me at all.

Normally this would not take me all day to do but,  my goodness, between visiting grammy and dealing with puppy love it took a little longer than expected (she's still cute but wow, what an adorable pup).

Eventually this space will become my "crafty" area, I have partially taken it over now but am trying to remember that I still have one at home.  I'm trying to share!

I would like to change out the window treatments. I haven't liked them since I hung them but haven't taken the time to do anything about it.   I see a fabric search in my future, love me a fabric shop! 


Hoping to add a little something to finish it off (I'm thinking a star stencil in yellow or red in some of the corners where the map pages meet up).  A really simple, inexpensive way to jazz up a wall.  Have you used maps in an interesting way in your home?  Would love to see what you've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...