Thursday, March 24, 2016

My First Attempt At Decoupage!

I found this piece of furniture at a garage sale last summer and it's been waiting, ever so patiently, for me to get to it ever since.  I am finally done and I am so incredibly happy with the results.  Here's a reminder of where I started:

The finish needed some refreshing and there are some bad spots on top where the veneer is peeling, other than that is seems to be in great shape.  I love the lines and feel of the piece.


First things first, I painted the frame white.  I love the look of two-tone furniture so I am leaving the drawer fronts wood.  Now, what to do with the bad veneer on top.  I know, decoupage!


 I am slowly creating an incredible collection of wrapping papers to be used for decoupage.  I have found some great stuff.  This is one of my favorites.  The colors are wonderful!  I have never decoupaged before, this is my first attempt.  It seems I have a tendency to "go big or go home" when it comes to projects such as this.  I probably should have practiced a little first to get the hang of it. 

I did some research, so many conflicting thoughts on the best practices so I just jumped in and did it.  It was pretty thick paper, it stuck great, but wanted to wrinkle.  Now, with wallpaper, most all that wrinkling dries out (at least I've come to tell the difference between those that dry out and those that don't).  Not really the case with decoupage.  I used the roller to squish out the air bubbles but no matter what that paper wanted to wrinkle up in an interesting way.  Not all haphazard like you'd expect, but linear, straight lines.  How weird is that?  Maybe it's not weird and I'm just inexperienced.  That could also be true.  Anyhow, I got the top and sides done and left it to dry.

Even with the slight wrinkling I am completely in love with it.  It's bright and extremely bold.  Even better than I imagined.  The way it wrinkled in such a linear fashion really adds to the design (this is a reversible paper, the back is a check type pattern, I'm wondering if that has something to the do with the linear appearance of the wrinkles?)

I plan to sell the piece (maybe, I LOVE it) so I thought I'd tone it down a little bit with a good sanding.  Worked like a charm.
 You can see what I mean about the wrinkling. 

I also "refreshed" the wood.  Simple process where I give them a quick sanding and add some stain.  Amazing how much better they look (the pictures really don't do it justice).  What a simple fix to get a rich, new finish.
Before refreshing


After Refreshing

Here it is all put back together.  I am still selling it but gotta say, it gets a short period of time and if it hasn't sold its coming back home with me.  I LOVE it!

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I love the lines of this piece. Reminds me of like a 60's look? To neat. The wrinkle comes into play if your paper is a thin sheet. Also I found that it is best to not only cover the paper with the Mod Podge but the piece of furniture also. Then let it dry before putting anymore on the top. Its a process and you will get the hang of it as you go. Great job by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...