Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Building Trusses with Pine Logs

We have got a few really exciting projects going on around here.   A couple weekends ago we received an order of Pine Logs and my hubby has been hard at work ever since.  He's always up for a challenge and this is definately that!

To start this adventure a semi pulled up, in the dark, out at the road for us to unload two stacks of lodge pole pine logs from his truck.  Talk about exciting, and scary, I had to run the bobcat while my husband maneuvered the logs, individually (they were tied together into large stacks that the bobcat couldn't handle) onto the forks and then off onto a waiting trailer sitting to the side of the driveway.  We were making such a racket that our neighbor came out to see what was going on.  Thankfully hubby got some help and me, well, I got another body to watch out for (scary).

The next day, we spent a couple hours unloading the trailer and placing the logs in the shed, where we'll be building the trusses (I say we but I'm just for moral support, I can't really help much with the logs, them things are heavy!)

Here they are, aren't they beautiful?




After unloading we spent some time drawing the pattern onto the floor where the building will occur.  If you look closely you can see the pencil marks (again, I say we, my job was to hold the string where I was told, somebody's got to do it).

Here's the first few cuts.

Such a perfectionist, he uses the belt sander to sand them down and the planer to get them just so.  He is doing an amazing job.

One side is bolted together.  This is the bottom and another log will sit where the cut-out is, hiding the connection.

This is the top.  It'll be covered with roofing.

This is the very top peak of the truss.

He taped together layers of foam insulation to hold up the logs so he can mark them.  Such a smarty pants.


Not bolted in yet but this is the other side of the truss....

and the top is ready to go as well.

There are three more smaller pieces that go in the center.  One is nearly done, only two more to go.  Wish I could be more help.  At this point I simply check on him every couple hours to make sure he's alright.  This entryway is going to be gorgeous!

If you'd like to follow along with the rest of the project, Building The Chirping Frog, here's a link.  Right now we're working on getting the footings dug.  We've got a long ways to go but it's moving right along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...