Thursday, September 22, 2016

Bathroom Update- Hip Hip Hooray, We're Done!

This post is from a bathroom remodel I worked on last summer/fall.  It seems that every time I begin a tile project I horribly underestimate the time involved.

Yesterday I started tiling the accent wall that divides the bathrooms at The Chirping Frog.  My body is already screaming at me and I'm only roughly halfway up the first wall... and its time to start climbing a ladder!  The real fun is just beginning.  It's always worth the time (and pain) once it's done but man, I'm reminded every time I tile of just how old I'm getting!

Here's a look at the before and after's from my last tile project.  I need the reminder that the end result is worth it.

Can you believe it, the bathroom is finally done.  It's really amazing how removing one little half wall has opened up the entire space.

Here's a reminder of how dark the shower was before we started our "little" project.  First order of the day was to bust out this half wall and get some light into the shower area (which required moving plumbing and a vent), but wow, what a difference it makes!
Before
Before

After

This is the best before picture of the vanity area that I have.  Wish I had thought to take a better picture.  The vanity is a whopping 84" in length.  Hugo, with a simple builder standard mirror covering the entire wall behind it.

Can you say dated?

My first order of business was to remove that mirror, then I wanted to divide up the huge expanse of counter-top with a wall cabinet (a place to hide all the junk), tile that wall and hang framed mirrors instead.  The counter-top was changed out along with the fixtures, the cabinetry got a gorgeous shade of blue paint and new knobs.  Presto, chango, what a drastic difference that made!
Before
After

After

After

After

This is the only picture I took of the "water closet".  It had linoleum before that met up with carpeting at the doorway.  It was a bear to get out but now there's a nice smooth transition at the doorway.  I'm leaving all the decorating up to the homeowner (I'd hang a grouping of those cute sea-scape pictures you've got right on that wall, don't spread them through the room like you had them before, mass them right there for more impact pretty please, if you're planning on re-using them that is).
After

So, what do you think?  Was it worth the time and effort or was it fine how it was?  Favorite part?  What would you have done differently?  Would love to hear your thoughts.  Have you tackled a similar project, please share, we'd love to see your work.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Love the clean looking colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, your time and effort paid off in a big way! Taking down half of the wall really opens up the space and using lighter tiles on the wall makes the room feel larger. The darker cabinets do well for contrast and fits in nicely. Overall, you did a wonderful job and I hope you enjoy it for many years!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...