Friday, July 24, 2015

Anniversary Trip!

My husband and I celebrated our 20th Anniversary last year (2014).  Our gift to ourselves, a week backpacking in Yosemite.  Originally we were thinking about a cruise to Alaska, but my husband really dreads the thought of confinement on a boat for even a day, so he offered me a second choice.  I don't think he expected me to take it, but I jumped.  Heck, we can take a cruise in wheelchairs any time, hiking the backcountry carrying all your supplies for a week on your back, well, that's going to have an expiration date!
Here's a reminder in case you missed my original post.  Such a great trip!
This was our first day, just starting out.
A couple miles in was the first lake.  Gorgeous.  About a mile past this lake is where "backcountry" begins.  You can camp basically anywhere you'd like after that point.
Just amazing views!
On day 2 we hiked Half Dome and camped near it's base.  You'd think we were getting close here, but no!

Wow!  Talk about amazing. 
I was so excited to climb Half Dome and then walked up to this.   I had a little bitty, maybe not so little, panic attack.  I still can't believe we did that and it was much easier than it looked.


The view from above..... it was well worth the climb!


Another view from Half Dome.... absolutely incredible views


On day 3 we headed out from Half Dome to our next Lake location.
We spent two nights at this site.  Gorgeous.  Right across was a High Country Campground that was not opening for another week or so.  It was a great spot. 


Hiking out.  I believe this was our last day, we'd spent the night in a great, secluded spot overlooking a cascade and are headed down into the valley for a final night at the backpacking campground before we catch our bus in the morning.  Jason is almost giddy to get back to normal life and I have mixed emotions, I could of stayed quite a bit longer. 
The waterfalls on the last day.  Almost out.  Both of us were craving a hamburger about now. 
Gorgeous, so happy we hiked down these waterfalls and not up.  Wow. 

My husband told me I could start planning next year's trip (2015) but I couldn't make them so long.  7 nights on a mat, in a tent was more than he ever cares to do again.  Me,  I could of stayed out there forever.  It was Wonderful!
This year we've invited the boys and are heading out to Grand Teton National Park.  We have reservations for four nights and will be hiking a large loop around the park, roughly 30some odd miles.  Not as far as last time but I think the hiking might be a little more strenuous (more elevation changes to deal with I believe).  I am so excited and already prepping supplies (for the boys, hubby and I are still pretty much set from last year).  I've been working out like a mad woman but haven't started wearing the backpack yet, gotta start that soon.  It's going to be a great adventure!
Have you ever done any backcountry camping?  Yosemite was our first trip, we learned a lot and I can't wait to learn a little more next time, as I'm sure this trip will present it's own set of challenges.  Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...